Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Captured By Grace: Book Review

David Jeremiah wrote this book about God's grace by sharing the life of 2 men; John Newton (who wrote the famous hymn,Amazing Grace) and Saul/Paul. He uses comparisons fromt he lives of these 2 men to talk about the awesome grace of God. The book also shares stories of other characters from the Bible, including the Prodigal Son. Jeremiah is a well-known Bible teacher/preacher. His warm style comes through the pages as he breaks down concepts like justification, faith and endurance.

I admit, I had a harder time actually getting into this book than any other I have ever reviewed on this site. I think it is because my learning style did not really connect with his writing style.  I also wished he had actually told more of the story of John Newton.

My interest in reading the book stems from an old hobby of mine; researching the life of well-known and not so well-known hymnists.  I find it fascinating to learn about the lives of the men and women whose songs we sing each Sunday.  The book piqued my interest but didn't really keep it.

No comments: