Skip to main content

"How great is our God"

I absolutely love the worship at our church. I am so thankful to be in a church that is blessed with a great worship leader, musicians and a worship team but recently God reminded me that it is not about the music or the talent but all about the heart.

I started subbing as a personal aide at Brownsville School. This special education school serves seven counties in Southeastern Illinois. The students range in age from young to 22 years old. I have never done this type of work before and it has been challenging for me emotionally. I am a very tender hearted person and my heart hurts for some of the challenges these young people face. I also have so much respect for the commitment and love of their families; sometimes single parents and grandparents.

Last Friday, I was privileged to be there when they had their annual talent show. It was totally awesome and I loved every moment of it. I heard several rounds of twinkle, twinkle, little star. Many of the students sang along with cds and their choices in song was a tribute to those they loved.

The highlight of the day for me was almost the last song. There was a young man of about 16 years of age. He was in a wheelchair that converted into a standing ramp to allow him to stand before the audience. His dark hair and age reminded me of my oldest son. He stood before the school and as the music started I realized it was familiar to me. He sang :How great is our God.

As he sang he raised his hands in praise to God. I watched as his personal aide stood and lifted her hands in worship. Then something amazing happened. The students who could stood up also and even some of those who couldn't lifted their hands as the song played. I don't think I will ever hear that song again without picturing him in my mind. God is great... no matter what our circumstances may be. His heart was singing louder and clearer than his voice was able!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be careful who you tell your dreams to!

I went with my son recently to see a production of Joseph and the Amazing Coat at a local community college. As I sat in the dark theater and watched the young men in the production, one of the lessons in the first part of the story hit me fresh and clear. Joseph told his dream to the wrong people at the wrong time. In his naivity, he thought his brothers would rejoice with him when he shared his dreams with them. Instead, it caused their jealous to turn to hatred of him and the favor of the father on his life. Many times in my own life, I have been too quick to share what God is showing me about the future with others. The truth is not everyone is called to share your dreams. There are circumstances and life issues people deal with that get in the way of their ability to 'rejoice with those who rejoice'. Just because you are there for other people does not mean they are capable of being there for you. Wisdom teaches us to wait and be careful about our conversation and 'the

Urgent Prayer Request!

Sunday Afternoon Update: Just got back from my sister's house. I went with her to the doctors Friday and they are aggressively treating her donor host disease with the belief it will allow her lungs and other organs to heal. I got a chance to minister to her and some direction from God in how best to do that now. Thank you all for your prayers! I am asking everyone who reads this blog to pray for my sister, Rachel Batson . She is 39 years old and has a aplastic anemia. This is a blood disorder in which the body does not reproduce blood as it should. Rachel had a bone marrow transplant last year but has since developed graft versus host disease. The disease is in the organs of her body. This is causing the organs to shut down. She especially needs prayer for her lungs. The doctors at Vanderbilt Hospital are saying she only has 2-3 months to live with her lungs as they are. Please pray for: a healing in her body total commitment to Jesus Christ her husband-Billy her son-Trevor peace

Life Choices

One fine Sunday morning, a man was walking with his family to church when he heard an awful commotion coming from behind the church. He sent his family on it and went to see what was going on. To his surprise, he saw the devil sitting on the ground moaning and crying something awful. "What in the world is wrong with you?" he asked the devil. "You won't believe what they're blaming me for in there." was his answer. Now, I know this story has A LOT of faulty theology but stay with me as I make my point! There are so many things in our life that we deal with that are a result of our own bad choices. When you think about the fact that every one of us is allowed to make our own choices in life, it is mindboggling. I know sometimes it seems it would be easier if we could force those that we care about to make good choices. It is so hard to see people that we love hitting their heads against a brick wall over and over again wondering why the wall won't move, bu